Summer – it’s that time of year we pack up our kids and our cars and hit the open road. Road trips can be exciting as we map out our plans to visit relatives, National Parks or maybe a theme park. Or perhaps a quiet vacation at an exclusive resort is more your style for summer travel.
Regardless of where you are going on vacation, it’s important you head out prepared, especially if you don’t wish for your car to break down. Imagine the hassle of taking your car to an andover collision center or auto repair shop and missing vacation days. In addition to packing all the right clothes and enough drinks and snacks for the long haul, there are several provisions you cannot forget when planning your big summer travel adventure. It’s important to check your car out thoroughly before heading out on your summer journey to ensure you trip isn’t interrupted by a breakdown and a call for the tow truck.
Top 10 items to check
- Have your car tuned up and make any repairs you have been putting off.
- Ensure all fluids have been checked and either replaced or topped off as needed.
- If your battery is three or more years old, consider replacing it as extreme heat can deplete an old battery and leave you stranded.
- Make sure your tires are in great shape and properly aligned. It’s a good idea to bring along a tire repair kit or a small portable tank, especially if you will be travelling far and/or in remote areas.
- Bring a gallon of water for emergencies – it could be handy if you are stuck on the side of the road or your radiator is in trouble.
- Check to make sure you have a tool box with tire tools, a spare tire and a jack.
- Ensure your glove box contains the vehicle owner’s manual, as well as necessary papers, such as auto insurance information and a list of andover collision center roadside assistance (if you live in Andover or somewhere near that area) and emergency phone numbers. A small flashlight may also be handy.
- Make certain you have the right corresponding mobile device chargers.
- Be sure to tell a friend or neighbor where you are going, and perhaps your planned route in case it is remote.
- If you are travelling far and/or for a long period of time, it’s a good idea to bring medical records and your medical insurance card.
Have a great summer trip! Don’t forget to ask a friend or neighbor to check on your house regularly and pick up any mail or newspapers, so it’s not obvious you are away.
Need to get back on the road?
Contact the Collision Center of Andover at (316) 733-9310.